The story behind the...
Ford Cortina Mk2 Estate Ambulance by Herbert Lomas Ltd.
This very rare car was purchased from Sandicliffe in Ilkeston in August 1970 by Vic Hallam Ltd of Langley Mill who were manufacturers of prefabricated buildings. Vic was born in Heanor in 1899 and the company pioneered making wooden buildings in their factory, gaining many big contracts including the Derbyshire Miners’ Holiday camp in Skegness. They called the manufacturing process the “Derwent System”.
The Cortina was sent to Herbert Lomas in Manchester, the premier builder of ambulances, and returned to Langley Mill fully kitted out as the on-site ambulance. Equipment includes an illuminated sign, blue beacon, air horns, a roll out stretcher and resuscitation unit.
In 1980, having covered just 3000 miles, she was sold to the Heanor Division of St. John’s Ambulance Brigade where she remained until 1997 having covered a further 15,000 miles.
The ambulance was then purchased by a paramedic who kept her in great shape until she joined Great British Car Journey in August 2021.
We believe that Lomas only made a few ambulances using the Mk2 Cortina Estate and this very local car is believed to be the only survivor. With less than 23,000 miles on the clock, she is still in very good shape.